Sunday 22 September 2013

Underneath the Arches at Stacja Mercedes, Warsaw


Click on photos to enlarge - superior result

The Cafe at Stacja Mercedes, Warsaw









The CCC was kindly invited to the last Coffee and Cars gathering of the season by Michal Antoni Wrobel, C0-founder of MOTORE the philosophy of which is best explained at www.motore.pl 

The Stacja Mercedes venue is a new Mercedes temporary sales and publicity initiative best explained once again at:


and


I ignored the weather and its possible outcome completely and turned up to see a collection of state of the art modern and classic super-cars gathered under the arches of Poniatowski Bridge. Many were very fine BMW saloons but I also noticed a white Honda s2000, a very bling and Teutonic black Bentley Continental GT with only 7500 kms on the clock, an ivory 6 cylinder Jaguar XJS, the beautiful Paul Ayre blue Triumph TR 6 wearing its British Leyland badges with pride so perfect is the restoration, a Porsche Cayman, a Porsche Boxter, my own tiny jewel of a 1949 MG TC but standing out against all of these and my choice on the day a magnificently detailed red Ferrari 328 GTS. I almost bought one a couple of years ago but as is typical with me and classic car purchases - Captain Sensible -  I bottled out at the eleventh hour after considering the challenge of owning such a car in Poland. The present owner put me at my ease and if he ever decides to sell I hope I am at the top of the list!



The fascinating story of the purchase and driving experiences of this particular 328 and the Polish love of Ferraris is in a very interesting Road & Track article at:



The Ferrari 328 GTS 

From the CCC Paul Ayre, Michael Motz and Michael Moran attended the pleasant Sunday morning. I hope to have gathered in the 328 owner Przemyslaw as a new CCC member. Also an attractive young lady Marta Adamczyk who tells me 'petrol runs in my veins!'  This should lift the tone of this fledgling club chaps! She drives a Renault Megane R.S.

I sloped off to a spontaneous photo session of my car as part of an English classic cars feature in a Polish car magazine about 2.00, pm. near the National Stadium.  


Dashboard of my 1949 MG TC

Incidentally the Top Gear Live event last night  filled the stadium to capacity - 69,000 - which I hope confirms Jeremy, James and Richard in their immortality and stops them needling the populace with foolish and unimaginative jokes about bloody Polish plumbers! There is a true and well-informed passion for cars and Top Gear here. 

Why is it the many great Polish engineers, mathematicians,  engine designers, computer software innovators, entrepreneurs, doctors, sportsmen, pilots, superb women, brilliant aeronautical engineers and scientists are scarcely ever mentioned? 

Very tiresome - all Poles are not plumbers, cleaners or fruit pickers for goodness sake! 
'Oh, I had a Polish cleaner once. Excellent she was....' and comments of that absurd ilk litter English dinner parties.

How wonderful my civilized interest in cars can distract me at least for a few hours from the present oppressive barbaric  horrors in Kenya and Syria....respect for human life seems to me to be at an all time low since the Second World War...


My 1949 MG TC underneath the arches of the Poniatowski Bridge, Warsaw

                                                                                                                                        Michael Moran

No comments:

Post a Comment